Sunday, July 09, 2006

Stephen Harper, Canadian PM, thanks football fans

Statement by the Prime Minister on the World Cup
July 9, 2006Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on Italy's World Cup final victory.“Canadians gathered today in our cities, towns and public squares to watch the World Cup soccer final in a vivid example of our country's passion for athletics and competition. I was pleased to watch the game with my son, Ben, and friends in Calgary.“On behalf of Canada’s New Government, I would like to congratulate Italy on its World Cup victory, and wish Italian-Canadians the most joyous of celebrations. “I would also like to congratulate France and its supporters on a hard-fought tournament, and take this opportunity to express my deep desire to see Canada join the world's best in South Africa in 2010.”